The History of Mullion Barn
The previous owners Colin and Sandra, purchased Mullion Barn during Spring 2007. At the time the old barn structure was on the point of total collapse, three of the seven livestock bays had already fallen in and the Structural Engineer thought that the entire building would not withstand another winter!
Their first task was to clear the site, as it was virtually covered by brambles, nettles and ivy. They erected scaffolding inside and out to prevent futher movement of the barn frame. At this point they were ready to start removing the roof and stripping off the old wooden cladding that covered most of the building. Part of the inside of the barn had cladding and also evidence of lathe and plaster. It was behind this covering in The Stable part of the property (the current self-catering holiday annex), that an early 17th Centuary, fully intact oak diamond Mullion window was discovered. This was inspected by a Conservation Officier who dated it around 1610.
During the summer of 2008 they made great progress on the conversion of the barn, sometimes having up to ten people working at any one time on site. Sandra would bring out refreshments from their on-site caravan, iced juice when hot and soup when cold, and gallons of sweet tea plus home made cakes!
The barn was sufficiently finished to enable them to move into it by late December 2008, giving them a nice warm family Christmas. Internal decorating continued for some months and come Spring 2009, work on the garden commenced.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Debbie, Mullion Barn owner and manager.
Link in with us on Social Media to see even more news and photos: